Whether you’re a cycling pro or a laid-back rider keen on the sites, Europe offers a smorgasbord of gorgeous slopes, crescents and long flat roads just waiting for you to cycle them.
With such range and scope to choose from, it was tricky shearing down the list to only a few, but here they are, top cycling holidays in Europe that you want to tick off your bucket list.
- An historic trail from Paris to Moscow: A trip ideal for great adventurers, this route allows you to embark on a 45-day expedition that traces Napoleon’s 1812 Russian Campaign, through Germany, Poland, Lithuania, Latvia, Estonia and finally into Russia, riding through thick moody forests and old cities creaking with layers.
- The Croatian dream: Cycle along the quiet roads of rustically beautiful Croatia on one of the cycling holidays in Europe you’re unlikely to forget. For a most rewarding experience, explore Brac, Hvar and Korcula, sticking as close to the coast as possible.
- Traverse through Ireland’s sheets of green: Ride the quaint and gorgeously green countryside of the south. Between Cork, Galway and County Mayo, you’ll be sure to enjoy the tougher climbs before settling down for a pint and some good ol’ Irish hospitality.
- Ride the famous l’Etape du Tour: More serious cyclists will have this somewhere near the top of their bucket lists. For those less familiar, l’Etape du Tour takes place once a year during the Tour de France. While the pros have their rest day, amateurs cycle one stage of the main event in a challenging experience through staggeringly beautiful terrain. Head off to the Alps to join an expedition that includes a day of the l’Etape du Tour and enjoy the soulful beauty of the French countryside. According to one expert The Guardian “the Alpe d’Huez, the Col de Galibier, the Col d’Izoard are some of the more well-known names, but don’t overlook the lesser-known alternatives. The picturesque but gruelling Cormet de Roseland is my personal favourite.”
- See the wonder of the Italian Dolomites: In this same expert’s opinion the Italian Dolomites are another to add to the list of top cycling holidays in Europe. With its fantastic peaks and awesome views, it’s undoubtedly one Italian stallion that’s well worth the ride. Add Italian food, wine and the quality mountain lodges on offer to the mix and it’s a no-brainer.
- Experience the thrill of the grand slopes of the Costa Blanca: As a well-known cycling paradise, the Costa Blanca has been drawing in pros and amateurs for decades, owing to its perfect weather, tip-top terrain and facilities that make cycling in the region more of a luxury than a sport. Between tackling the exciting slopes, bask in the pleasure of world-class spas, delicious cuisine and gorgeous beaches.
To find out about luxury hotels in Costa Blanca that are ideal for memorable cycling holidays in Europe, contact AR Hotels. With award-winning luxury offerings like AR Diamante Beach Spa & Convention Centre in their portfolio of luxury hotels in Costa Blanca, you can be sure that your adventure to the region will be one you’ll want to rewrite on your bucket list, just so you can do it all again.